Friday, December 6, 2013

Mandela, a Bodhisattva

I can't write today without writing about Nelson Mandela. He was such an inspiring figure, and embodied the true Bodhisattva, or warrior of lovingkindness that made him so successful in communicating with friends and foes.

He certainly was in touch with his inner Buddha. I can't claim the same, but I can claim to be inspired by someone who forgave and even hired/appointed his enemies to work with him, when he became President. 

President Obama said "We won't see the likes of him again" and I hope that's not true, but I recognize the sentiment. It's rare to see someone who has really embraced the goodness and honesty and compassion and openness that Buddhism stands for.

The world is a better place for having Nelson Mandela. I hope we will continue to celebrate his life and emulate his actions. May he rest in peace.

***
In other news, my day was immensely boosted by a long gab about life with my best friend, Jane. We are both in purgatory in terms of our places in the world, careers, roles, etc. and we both strive so diligently to walk the middle path, which is next to impossible, but worth trying nonetheless. Most importantly, we make each other laugh and get each other's references, and that feels like magic.

So I have a spring in my step even though there is some sadness in my heart. Let's hope we can all be a little bit more like Nelson Mandela than we were yesterday. Let his spirit rub off on us in our everyday dealings, however small.


No comments:

Post a Comment