Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Mindful Methods

So I'm reading "How to Train a Wild Elephant" and it's really interesting. You're supposed to focus on one chapter a week, which means adopting one mindful activity per week. Being the ever-zealous type, I've fast-tracked this process and am kind of working on several at once. They're really cool and kind of fun, too.

For example, the author suggests that you pay attention to your hands for a day (or a week), and notice how much they do for us that we barely notice. They are magical appendages, when you think about the things they can do. And we rarely think about them.

The latest challenge I'm on is to write down ten things you're grateful for each day. I've tried but not sustained such efforts in the past, but I will do it on my phone because I have the "Gratitude" app, which periodically chirps at me and reminds me to be thankful for all that I have. So I'll make my list on those, starting tonight.

I think the gratitude list will come to me easily. I'm feeling pretty grateful for my life right now, and for the people in it.

My writer friend told me about a call for written pieces on mental illness for an anthology, which has me wondering, if I wrote an essay about my experiences, what would I say? Where would I begin? Something for me to think about. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment