Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Adjustments

Still feeling mostly good and more engaged with life. I feel like I'm coming out of isolation, which is kind of true. Mental illness, especially depression, can cause a self-imposed exile.

I'm organizing my volunteer teaching for this semester for one day only. It will be a busy day, but since I'm there, I might as well jump, (jump!). This will help test my resilience and ability to show perseverance. I mean, if I want to someday work at this school (I do) then I need to be able to show that I can at least do two hours of teaching in a row! Granted, what I do is more performance than anything, but I'm hoping to shift that so that it's more guided by the kids' energy as opposed to mine. I'm not spending a long time prepping because this is casual and low key. I need to keep it that way.

I realize I am getting a bit grandiose when I think about taking the next improv class and teaching at my kids' school. I'm a dreamer, but I also know I'm not going to just sit home and collect dust for the rest of my life. I need action and connection. Don't we all.

So I'm watching my inner gyroscope to see where it needs adjustment. Doing this blog is one way for me to slow down and process what's going on in my life and in the present moment. Improv is actually very Buddhist. You are in the moment and you accept what you get, without aversion or struggling to escape. I hadn't made that connection before.

As Keanu Reeves says, Whoa.


No comments:

Post a Comment