Saturday, June 28, 2014

TMI

When the woman taking my son's cast off last week asked if he was named after the biblical prophet Ezekiel, I answered in the affirmative. So it may have led her to believe that we are Christian. So without missing a beat, my son says, "Oh but we're not Christian."  I think maybe the lady was, and I think I may have blurted out that we are secular humanists and the nurse lady said what's that and I explained we believed everyone can believe in anything as long as no one gets hurt.

But in this ever polarizing country, it feels a little edgy, or dangerous, to announce to strangers that you're not Christian. Because it implies some nefarious underbelly which isn't there, but is assumed to be there. Good god, could that mean you are in the presence of an atheist!?

I didn't even TRY to get into my aspiring Buddhist tendencies. The whole thing was awkward as hell. I mean, the woman was holding a saw. But she still took my son's cast off and acted nice even if inside she was horrified. I just don't know.

My son is being taught to respect other religions and to be firm in his own family credo, but I'm not sure most of the world is ready for our open-minds and earnest candor.

If everyone was a Buddhist, we'd be all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment