Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Positively Engage

I'm noticing that the best way to connect with my family and friends is in the little things. A quick text, hug, or game of cards, all can bring us together, if only briefly. I am trying to be alert to these opportunities as opposed to bemoaning the lack of connection. (See previous post)

In that post, I questioned our screen culture but didn't elaborate. What I find troubling about the screen culture is two-fold: it shortens our tempers and attentiveness because we're always looking for immediate gratification, and often getting it. Two, it is not socializing to all be in a room on a separate screen; too much screen is detrimental to our social skills.

How much is too much? That's a subjective question, and each person has to figure it out on their own, or, if a child, have it imposed on them. I try not to resent the screens but see if they can be used creatively. I just signed up my kids for electronic arts classes--video game programming and animation, respectively. Both classes use computers or tablets of some kind.

Because while I may complain about "screenhead" and too much time spent in front of the computer/iPad, our children need to know how to use the technology that is their present and our future. The job market of the future requires children to be tech savvy. I like the idea of these classes too though because of the creativity. Using technology creatively is brilliant, and does not cause "screenhead" because it serves a larger purpose and you inevitably interact with others while learning how to do it, and in sharing what you've created, and in celebrating each other's creativity.

There will still be plenty of summer days to spend outside, screenless.


No comments:

Post a Comment