Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Self Regard

"You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."
                                                                                    --Buddha

Why is this so difficult to do? Every free thinking female I know has self-esteem issues. And I think men do, too; they're just not talking about it like women are. (But I could be wrong.) All of the women I'm close to have self-confidence issues in some or many areas, myself included, obviously.

I've been advised by many a therapist to stop beating myself up, which I understand intellectually, but have trouble enacting psychologically in my day to day life.

Lately I've taken to imagining a version of the venerable Thich Nhat Hanh talking to me, telling me I'm as good as everyone else, that I'm perfect as I am, that I am allowed to be on the earth doing my part to be kind and peaceful. I feel like if I actually met him, I'd faint or burst into tears with exhaustion and relief. I think many of us are waiting for external validation, and that just doesn't always come. One needs to be able to validate oneself. But years of self-flagellation make that difficult.

So I try to summon Thich Nhat Hanh's voice in my head, telling me to savor the moment, that I am loveable and valid as I am. I really need to hear that right now. And I know so many people who do, too.

A true Bodhissatva is a peaceful warrior and who better to make peace with first than yourself? 

No comments:

Post a Comment