Friday, August 1, 2014

Change

Taking care of two intelligent, active children is no joke. There are ups and downs all day, especially since they are both oozing into tweendom these days. It's little refusals, digging in of heels, that show evidence of individuation, which is healthy and normal and developmentally appropriate, I know.

But it still tugs at my heart that they don't need me the way they used to. I know that probably sounds wierd, because of COURSE they still need me, perhaps now more than ever, but there are now purgatorial blocks of time in the day when they no longer need me. I remember when they were little, I couldn't wait for nap time, for a break. Now it seems "nap time" is most of the time, with intermittent clashes and/or drama and the need to check in with Mom.

Again, I'm not complaining about this. It is teaching me new skills; staying nonreactive in intense situations, keeping perspective, and letting them grow into themselves with as little restriction as possible.

It always comes back to letting go, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment